By: Wynston G. Freeman, Columnist, Radio Talk Show Host.
Last week I was fortunate to have written an article captioned, ” The Power of Choice – Vote Consciously “! The Topic was in continuity of my intentional and relentless efforts in educating our citizens at age 18yrs and above that is provided by the constitution of the Republic of Liberia in order to be qualified to vote, that our choices must be in the best interest of the country.
Few months ago, president Donald Trump termed Africa’s independence as ” a shortcut to maturity “.His assertion made from Nebraska that Africa’s independence is a shortcut to maturity, emerged from an inquiry made by a South African journalist about the right to seek massive withdrawal from the Hague base International Criminal Court (ICC) by African Leaders. These were his strong points of defense of his assertion including the recolonization of African for the next 100 years:
√ Africans are like slaves living like slaves in their own land, yet they claim they are independent
√ It is shameful for African Leaders to seek exist from the ICC. He further said that those leaders want to have all freedom to oppress the poor people without any question.
√ African is still under slavery with these oppressive leaders
These were the ways President Trump termed the oppressive leaders of Africa:
√ They change constitutions in their favor so that they can be life presidents
√ They are greedy and do not care about the common people
√ They do not lead by example
√ They only want to accumulate wealth from the poor tax payers.
Let me throw out these questions to every Liberian for sincere answers.
1) Have we experienced oppressive leadership in Liberia?
2)Have we had elected and appointed government officials who primary quests are to amass wealth for themselves, care less about the common people, do not lead by examples and want to perpetuate themselves in our high offices.
If your answer to these questions is yes, then let the further ask if you need a CHANGE. If so, your vote can make that change. I am now moved to outlined and expatiate to you some characteristics of a good leader that will certainly give us the CHANGE we are longing for.
1) TRACK RECORD – this has to do with the evaluation of candidates passed records before expressing their intentions for an elected positions, for the purpose of making sound decision. If we do not follow their track records, “few months guarantee will appear as a pure gold”. If you are confused as to who to choose, looking at their track records will greatly help you make the right decision.
Don’t repose your confidence in a besmirched character because of failure to follow his/her track record!
Subsequent characteristics are credited to the Author – cdoadmin
1) HONESTY – a good leader advocates truth and integrity. He conserves the trust and confidence given him by the people. And of course, he doesn’t steal the funds of the nation. If you know someone who has a besmirched character and has a guilty record of corruption, cross that person out immediately. Remember, honesty is still the best policy to embrace.
2) ACTION – a good leader makes sure that his promises are done and won’t be broken. “Action still speaks louder than words”. Just because he/she can talk well on stage does not mean he/she can perform things in order.
3) RESPECT – an effective leader respects the constitution, abides by the laws, and honors the decisions of the court of competent jurisdiction. He/ she also listen and respect the opinions of the common people.
4) INDEPENDENCE – a tough leader is not a puppet. His actions are not a product of incomplete decisions. He is not manipulated by corrupt people who are thirsty of power and wealth of the nation. Usually, he/she hates the corrupts.
5) CONFIDENCE – a great leader of a nation possesses self-confidence. If leaders won’t believe in themselves, no one else will. A true leader has the confidence to stand alone and the strength to make tough decisions.
6) ACCOUNTABILITY – a good leader takes responsibility of any failures as the head. He/she does not shift blame.
7) HUMILITY – a good leader acknowledges his mistakes and weaknesses. He also admits that he’s not good at everything. He seeks help during tough ties. If anyone who commends himself all the time and says how good he/she is in everything, run away!
8) COMMITMENT – an effective leader is resolute in realizing his/her great visions and dreams for the country. Patience and persistence is visible in him/her.
9) ACCOUNTABILITY – a good leader takes responsibility of any failure as the head. He/she does not shift blames.
10) LOVE – lastly, an effective president has a selfless love for his people and country. He does not see public entrusted offices in a narcissistic way. He is a patriot!
Liberia will rise again, indeed our country shall rise again!